Pick your poison and don’t forget to add it to your library. I’ll keep updating the same playlist as new stuff comes out.
[otw_shortcode_button href=”https://apple.co/2PiEx3e” size=”medium” icon_position=”left” shape=”square” color_class=”otw-red”]Apple Music[/otw_shortcode_button] [otw_shortcode_button href=”https://spoti.fi/2C1ixZ0″ size=”medium” icon_position=”left” shape=”square” color_class=”otw-green”]Spotify[/otw_shortcode_button]
Bunch of new stuff this week:
- DEICIDE, “One With Satan” — Lead track from Overtures of Blasphemy, out now on Century Media. Really liking this album. Solid, catchy tunes & punchy production from Jason Suecof, who also helmed the MONSTROSITY album that just came out. Of particular note is the fact that we can actually hear Glen’s bass!
- BLOODBATH, “Bloodicide” — That is one goofy title, but with Nick Holmes (PARADISE LOST) once again at the mic and guest vocal spots from John Walker (CANCER), Jeff Walker (CARCASS) and Karl Willets (BOLT THROWER / MEMORIAM), it’s a bruiser. Sounds exactly like Grand Morbid Funeral, so you’re either in or you’re out.
- ABHORRENCE, “The Four Billion Year Dream” — It took 27 years for the Finns to release this tiny little EP and there’s only 2 new tracks (plus an intro) to sink into at this point, but it’s definitely worth your time. Big, clean, heavy, simplistic, bludgeoning stuff. Out now on Svart Records
- BEHEMOTH, “Wolves ov Siberia” — Sounds like Nergal & co. are backing off the experimentalism of The Satanist and getting back to smashing crosses. This is pretty symphonic for this site, and I could definitely do without the costumes, but they still hit like a death metal band and the song rips, so it’s going on the list.
- HATE ETERNAL, “Nothingness of Being” — The older we both get, the more I like this band. Their early stuff was so crazy that I never really connected with it, but this slower-but-wiser version of Hate Eternal hits the spot scratches the itch that MORBID ANGEL abandoned years ago. Pairs nicely with GORGUTS.
- CRYPTOPSY, “Sire of Sin” — This is from their The Book of Suffering, Tome 2 EP that just came out. It’s a follow up to The Book of Suffering EP from a few years ago. Sounds like Cryptopsy to me, Lord Worm or not.
- ARCHGOAT, “Messiah of Pigs” — Did that poor pig just get crucified? Damn that’s harsh, bro. Pure, blasting primitivism from Finland with Demilich-ish vocals and – if you really listen to the lyrics – a subtle commentary on religion.
- TERRORIZER, “Invasion” — Not terribly down with a Jesse Pintado-less Terrorizer, but when you have Pete Sandoval (MORBID ANGEL) teaming up with Lee Harrison (drummer for MONSTROSITY, but on guitar here), it’s worth a listen. Like the Behemoth track, this isn’t exactly was this shit is about, but it’s intense and the players have major death metal pedigree, so it’s on the list. Out this fall on The End Records.
- VOIVOD, “Iconspiracy” — Third pre-release track from The Wake, due out September 21 on Century Media. This one’s more aggressive than the first two.
- OPETH, “Demon of the Fall (Live)” — They’re a million miles from death metal these days, but Opeth brought it back with this first taste from their new live album, Garden of the Titans. Taped at Red Rocks Amphitheatre, the recording and performance both sound like a million bucks and Mikael’s still got it in the growls. The last 2 minutes is banter, which is…an interesting choice.
- PYREXIA, “The Annointed” — Some truly old-school NYDM going on here. First album in 5 years, out now on Unique Leader Records.
Everything else was on there last time. UNLEASHED, KRISIUN, ENTOMBED A.D., ABORTED, MONSTROSITY & SIEGE OF POWER. Cheers!